St. Mary's River School Division was established in 1936 by a ministerial order. All rural schools in an area surrounding Cardston were included, but the towns of Cardston and Magrath weren't. The division was divided into five subdivisions with a trustee appointed for each. These trustees were appointed at a meeting of delegates from the rural school districts. Delegates representing the following schools were: Twin River, E. E. Bussian; Rinard, Mrs. C. Barnett; Del Bonita, B. Powlesland; Valleyfield, George Ady; Lens, G. H. Lightfoot; Shanks Lake, R. Hately; Ross Lake, S. L. West; and Hillmer, Herman Hillmer. Mr. Fred Luth was appointed as the divisional trustee for subdivision No. 3, which included these districts.
Some years later the name was changed to Cardston School Division No. 2.
Each rural school district turned over what money was in the treasury to be used as a trust fund for that district. The divisional board assumed responsibility for upkeep of school buildings, hiring of teachers, and collection of taxes. The taxation rate was equalized throughout the division. The local boards of each rural school continued to function in an advisory capacity to the divisional trustee.
Return To Old Rural County Schools
Return To Del Bonita Alberta