In 1894 William Mclntyre purchased the first tract of land from the Alberta Railway and Irrigation Company. The site for the ranch buildings was located at the foot of the Milk River Ridge where there was an excellent spring which supplied water for the buildings and corrals. The cattle brand IHL for any part of the body was issued by the Registrar of Brands at Regina, North-West Territories. The total area of deeded land acquired by William Mclntyre was 64,000 acres in one block. In 1900 rye and oats were crops planted. Timothy was planted on some of the hay land.
In 1902 Hereford cattle were introduced to the ranch.
A big country, about 80,000 acres in area, between the United States boundary and the north branch of the Milk River had been leased by the Knight Sugar Company in 1902. They subsequently re-leased it to Mclntyre Ranching Company. It was used as a summer range for Mclntyre cattle. This lease continued till 1912 when it was thrown open for homesteads and is now known as Del Bonita, and Twin River Country.
This valuable lease land was soon settled by homesteaders who came from every walk of life. They had to travel through Mclntyre Ranch territory, and many times stayed at the ranch headquarters. The Mclntyre Ranch is still a good neighbor to the north.
Return to Del Bonita, Alberta
Return to Cities, Towns, Villiages