The three story Spring Coulee Hotel, built and owned by John C Thompson, was completed in 1909, with a livery stable nearby to accommodate the horses. Mr. Thompson never managed, or operated the business of the hotel, but leased it out to several different managers, from its completion in 1909, to 1954 when it was no longer used as a hotel.
The name of the first of these managers was a Mr. Springer, who retired after a few months of serving the public. It was early in December of 1909 that Mr. W. A. Miller of Mountain View took possession, and began serving meals and renting rooms to the patrons. Kate Brown of Spring Coulee worked in the hotel for Mr. Miller for a while.
In 1910, Lillian Murray, (Mrs. Leo Chapman to be) assisted Mrs. Horspool, who was manager at that time.
During the "Land Rush Days", the hotel was a busy place, serving the needs of the new immigrants to the area. This was when Mr. and Mrs. Baptiste were in charge of the operations.
There were followed by Mr. and Mrs. Beimler who served from 1918 to 1923, when Mrs. Wilson, (Annabelle Long's mother), was the manager until 1927.
It was then that Alta Holland took over for 2 years. At this time an oil well was drilled on the Smith and Overs ranch, so there was a definite need for good home cooked meals, and comfortable beds for the workmen, as well as the travellers who would stop in Spring Coulee.
Elsie Daley was the next to operate the hotel. She was, there from 1929 until Mike and Delia Salmon came to manage it. The Salmons were there from 1937 until 1942. This was another exciting time, and busy one, since there was another oil well drilling crew needing "Bed & Board".
Georgia Rice served as the operator of the hotel for four or five years after the Salmons left. In 1949 Georgia married Wayne Malmberg, and shortly thereafter moved to the Malmberg ranch.
Last, but by no means least of the managers, was Jim and Syl Simpson, who continued to serve the travellers who chose to stop off in Spring Coulee. But in 1954,when Jim and Syl decided to move to Pincher Creek, the need for accommodations in this small village had diminished. From that time on the building that had served many a weary traveller, and countless patrons desiring a good meal was no longer used as a hotel. It was rented to private families for a few years before it was deemed advisable to tear it down.
Another landmark of the past has faded into history, but there are memories, and stories that can be perpetuated for the benefit of those who may be interested in some aspects of former days.
Return Spring Coulee, Alberta
Return AB Cities, Towns, Villiages