Cochrane Ranch Bungalow site located 300 feet north was the home of William Cochrane, son of Senator Matthew Cochrane, President of Cochrane Ranching Company (South) 1883 - 1903.
William Cochrane married Helen May Brisco in England 3 July 1895. The bride came to the North West Territories, Canada, with house plans for an English bungalow and numberous plants and shrubs to make a showplace for their sandston bungalow built in 1895 between the Belly and Kootenai rivers on Cochrane ranch land, 67,000 acres of chinook belt cattle grazing land leased from the Dominion Government. The bungalow with 2 stories and 18 rooms was modern in every way with a wind mill for water pressure, hot water radiators, acetylene gas lighting system, bathroom, and sewage disposal. Refinement, wealth and taste was displayed by english fireplaces, red carpets, window seats, pianola that played chopin, and country garden with a gazebo, and servants from England.
Senator Cochrane died in 1903. In 1905 the Cochrane Ranch came up for sale. Ranch officials, E. J. Wood, President of the Alberta Stake, Cardston, and the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints negotiated for the church to purchase the Cochrane Ranch for the colonization under the management of President Wood. The Church paid $6.00 per acre for 65,000 acres, a total of $399,000 dollars.
In 1906 President Wood purchased the Ranch buildings and improvements and the bungalow for $4000 dollars and one section of surrounding land for $6 an acre. Glenwood, the adjoining village, was named after President Wood's son Glen.
The Cochrance Ranch Cairn was erected by the Glenwood Historical Society
- May S. Archibald
- Helen H. Leavitt
- Brenda M. Ferris
- Daniel H. Lybbert
- Trevor C. Hamon
"New Horizons - Wallace Leavitt"
The rock for the Cairn was from the original Cochrane Ranch Property and was supplied by Rex Wood.
Return To Alberta
Copyright © 2000